in easily the most exciting game i’ve watched all year, the warriors beat the mavericks at home in game 4 of their opening series 103-99. it’s really nice to see all the rabid fans at the coliseum supporting the team. even j-rich made mention of that in his postgame interview on fsn after the game. they had some cold stretches in there but made their shots at the end when they counted. for the most part dirk diggler was pretty cold shooting, although he hit one near the end that brought them close.
and even mickael pietrus came up big with rebounds, blocks and this dunk:
not bad for a french guy.
[all photos stolen from yahoo/ap/whoever]
they head back to dallas for game 5 on tuesday. good luck W’s.
the warriors pulled off a huge upset, sinking the mavericks in game 1 of their playoff series. of course, i had hope the warriors would win, but to get game 1 on the road was completely unexpected. i bet dallas will make some changes to their game plan because they’re too good to play like they did on sunday night. i figure nellie had some tricks up his sleeve from knowing the maverick players when he was coaching them a couple years ago.
[photo courtesy of yahoo sports/ap]
watching the game in HD on steve’s tv was a treat also. i’m starting to save up so that we’re able to get an LCD tv by the summer. part of the problem is that we don’t have a good wall to put it on, so we might have to some minor room reconfiguration or construction to get a good mounting area for the aforementioned panel.
alyssa has never known the warriors to make the nba playoffs – they haven’t done it in 13 years! the other two years, she would have been too young to understand anyway. they beat dallas by 30 the other night because avery johnson was nice enough to trot out his bench players to help nellie get into the big dance. last night, they were up 30 on portland but then they started to lose it. i couldn’t help but get that sinking feeling that the warriors would somehow collapse again and give the last playoff spot to the clippers. i’m just glad that’s over with.
now that white boys dunleavy and murphy are gone, i feel much better about the warriors chances. no telling if stephen jackson will be back next year or if he will be playing in pickup games at elmwood.
just came back from a 4-day weekend in la with the family. alyssa had her annual national competition at the anaheim convention center. her team did great and would have finished first if it wasn’t for a slight wobble during their second performance.
i’ve posted pictures of both days in the photo section – no login required for now. after all the cheer business had subsided, we got to hang out at disneyland and california adventure, which is probably the best family time we’ve had in a long while.
here’s a couple memories from the past weekend, in no particular order:
1. eating all the time. i think we gained about 10 pounds from trying all the food inside and outside the park. case in point – we had tony roma’s one night since it’s right across the street from the hotel. it left such a mark that we decided to have it again the following night. marcos took part in the calorie party by drinking directly from a coffee creamer with a straw at ihop.
2. tri came down from la to watch the cheer competition on saturday, although i think it was thinly disguised as a recruiting trip for the various girls (and their moms/aunts) that were in attendance.
3. getting dizzy at the mad tea party. i thought it would be fun to get our spin on but then regretted it afterwards when i started to sweat from the work and also pick up some motion sickness along the way.
4. having some middle eastern family cut in line in front of us when we weren’t looking for a minute. they sported excessive plumpness and massive body odor so we were less confrontational then usual because their lives were already tough without having to add leslee’s fists to their otherwise miserable existence.
5. coming home and realizing that i wore the same shirt – my gray vans striped polo – this weekend as i did the last time i was in disneyland. splendid.
the best part is that i am headed back to la tomorrow for work. it’s just for the day, but i’ll be flying again in less than 7 hours. crikey.
*you can see pictures of alyssa’s cheer competition and our disney weekend in the photos section of the website.